SYDNEY: Former Australia cricketer David Warner has been convicted and fined A$1,500 ($1,065) by a Sydney court after pleading guilty to a drink-driving offence committed earlier this year.
The 39-year-old former opener appeared before Waverley Local Court on Tuesday following his arrest in April. Warner admitted to driving with a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit after attending a social gathering in Sydney’s eastern suburbs during the Easter weekend.
According to evidence heard by the court, Warner was driving his family home when he encountered a roadside breath-testing operation. After noticing the testing site, he stopped his vehicle and attempted to swap seats with a female passenger before the breath test was conducted.
Judge Clare Farnan said Warner was unlikely to commit another drink-driving offence but stressed that driving under the influence of alcohol remains a serious issue in New South Wales. The judge also noted that the presence of children in Warner’s vehicle made the offence more serious.
In addition to the A$1,500 fine, Warner will be required to install an alcohol interlock device in his vehicle. The device is designed to prevent a car from starting when alcohol is detected in the driver’s system.
Warner’s lawyer, Awais Ahmad, had asked the court to consider avoiding a formal conviction, arguing that his client had already faced significant consequences from the extensive media coverage of the incident. The lawyer said the publicity had affected Warner’s commercial opportunities.
Warner left the court without commenting to reporters gathered outside. His management also did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Despite retiring from international cricket, Warner remains closely involved in the sport. He works as a commentator for Fox Sports Australia and recently joined the broadcaster’s coverage of the Australia-Bangladesh Test match in Darwin.
Warner is also the captain of Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League. The team is associated with a New South Wales government campaign aimed at discouraging drink-driving, adding significance to the conviction because of Warner’s public role.
Cricket New South Wales did not immediately comment on whether the incident would affect Warner’s position as Sydney Thunder captain. The organisation said, however, that it strongly supports safe driving and takes drink-driving incidents seriously.
“Cricket NSW is a strong advocate for safe driving, including avoiding drink driving,” the organisation said, adding that it would continue educating players about responsible driving.
Warner is one of Australia’s most successful modern batsmen. He played 112 Test matches and more than 250 limited-overs internationals for Australia, earning a reputation as one of the country’s most aggressive and prolific opening batsmen.
The conviction represents a setback for Warner as he continues his career in broadcasting and domestic cricket. His court-imposed alcohol interlock requirement will remain an important consequence of the offence as he continues his public role within Australian cricket.